Raphaël's history

Raphaël's history

In Paris, very close to the Pont Neuf, Parent founded his brush workshop in 1793. The Company prospered despite the uncertainties of the Revolution, the Empire and the Restauration. Gerard continued the activity from 1820 to 1825 , followed by Leferme from 1825 to1847 an by Renard from 1847 to 1859. In 1859, at the age of 34, Charles Sauer bought the Company and moved it from Paris to Oinville, 50kms away.

From 1895 to 1900 his son, Max Auguste Sauer, built a highly modern steam factory, in Hardricourt, near Oinville. In 1925, the manufacture of Fine Brushes was transferred to Saint -Brieuc by Max Sauer (junior).
After the death of Max Sauer in 1960, the Max Sauer Company, headed by Michel and Gérard Sauer was transferred in 1967 to a new factory, extended in 1973 and 1987 together with another addition in 1991.
The Berge Artists Materials, (since 1920) : canvas products-rolls, pre-streched, canvas boards, as well as Artists’ colours, Art papers and other Artists Materials from Sennelier (since 1887), are now manufactured
and distributed on the various sites in Brittany.

With the fifth generation, the Company’s succession is now represented by Jean-Roch Sauer since 1975
and by Eric Sauer since 1987. Innovation, research and development are combined with tradition and all know-hows. The family rigor in the management, team-work, optimum quality and service to all customers remain the priorities of the “Max Sauer sas” Company.

Raphael

Ancien catalogue Raphaël

Nowadays, Raphaël brushes are made thanks to a know-how hand down between the different generations and for the sake of quality.

Raphael